Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My Own Personal Journey...


"This is the first day of the rest of your life." 

An almost historic quote overshadowed by the barrage of affirmations found daily on Facebook, blogs and coffee mugs. But for me, that quote is a reality. On Oct 10, 2012, I had gastric bypass surgery....roux en y to be exact. This was not a snap decision. 

I have been researching this surgery for almost six years. Readily available to the wealthy and a select few for quite some time now, the procedure has been touted as a weight loss miracle... an easy way out. Far from it. I decided to keep a journal of my journey... as I feel it is not a miracle cure, and definitely not the “easy way out”.

I just had major surgery. My innards have been assaulted in the worst way and are screaming in protest. Not just pain, of which there is plenty, but of all things foreign being forced upon my body.  Everything has been rearranged and altered both physically and with drugs... including my brain so as not to register the agony. Nausea and all wonderful things associated with surgery are ever present.  And this is the easy part. 

I am a poster girl for the diets don’t work statistics. Thirty years ago, I was a fashionable size three... a tiny, small-boned business woman. As a very active youth, teen and young adult, I had broken many bones. In later years, that translates as arthritis. By age thirty, as the joints began to rebel, I quit some activities and promptly gained twenty pounds. I wasn't concerned. Joined a gym and Weight Watchers. Fitness became my new focus and it wasn't long before I had shed the extra pounds.  Imagine my surprise about a year later to realize that, not only had I gained back the original twenty pounds, but had added an additional ten! Thus began the cycle. Any attempt to diet, exercise – successful or not – would result in weight gain.  There is so much I could write about the various stages of weight and the progress of my personal and business life during these past 30 years – however, that could be an entire book on its own merit.  I am going to make short journal notes about this procedure. 


I was in the hospital 4 days and probably should have stayed at least one day longer. My surgery was laproscopic. I have six small incisions on my stomach – closed not with staples or stitches – but super glue.  Well, I don’t really know if its super glue – but it’s something like that – how perfect is that for an artist?!  Glue.  



I vacillate from being excited about this new venture in my life to being horrified at what I have done. The procedure is permanent. Yes, many people do gain the weight back eventually. That statistic frightens me.  How COULD they? This is hell, and it’s only the beginning. For the next two weeks, I have nothing but liquid and tons of protein. Seems simple. I am home from the hospital, all medications and “food” lined up on the counter – ready to go. 



Currently, I am taking it easy. I have no choice, nor would I want to jeopardize this long-awaited procedure. I will keep you updated as to my progress – the good and the bad – on this blog as I begin my recovery... and my new life!

Glenny xoxo 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Glenny,
    Welcome to the world of roux-en-y! I had mine nearly 3 years ago. I lost 65 lbs in the first year and stabilized there for some time. It has been a life changing surgery for me and my family (the husband had his first--lost 160 lbs; then 2nd daughter--lost 130 lbs; then me; then first daughter--lost 130 lbs.). We are all glad to have gone this route and don't we look good! No more shopping in the plus size stores!

    Hang in there! It will get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending good thoughts for a speedy recovery and your long term health! I was glued back together after having my gall bladder removed... kind of strange, but you're right, very fitting for an artist! Best wishes to you, Glenny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you Glenny,this will be the start of a new life for you.I admire you for your bravery.I will be thinking of you ...
    Jenxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenny,

    Wow, what a brave step to have taken. When you get over the initial trauma, you will feel SO much better. I love that you got glued. LOL. Your vest should still fit even as you loose weight - they're made sort of one size fits all. However, if needed I'll fashion you a smaller one to celebrate your shrinkage.

    Hope for a speedy recovery. Feel better soon.

    Ellen Goodloe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting the Art & Soul blog. We appreciate your comments and feedback!