Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Unexpected Surgery... Knee Deep!

Five days post-op.
Not long after the Virginia Beach Art & Soul retreat, I blew out my knee. Having two "routine" but complex surgeries 7 months apart is quite an experience.  I was physically ill after the bypass, struggling to stabilize blood sugar and insulin doses and dealing with food.  Pain was an issue, but not debilitating. However, being continually nauseated and not able to lift my head from the pillow was miserable and emotionally draining.  It took months before I was back to feeling normal and able to function.

My bed partners on the left of me.
A knee replacement is the opposite. I had my first replacement 13 yrs ago, suffered greatly and refused to have the other knee touched.  I gained more weight, became sedate and it was not an issue for the diseased knee because it didn't have to work.  After losing a significant amount of weight, adopting a very active Giant Schnauzer puppy and becoming more active, the knee was done, not going to function... surgery needed ASAP. 

Bed partners on the right. Hey, I'm in good company!
I have never forgotten the horrible time I had in 2000,  and was continually told not to worry... how different and advanced  the procedure is now.  Uncle Sam (no, not that Uncle Sam!) had his replaced and it was a piece of cake.  Uncle Sam is 102. And, true, all aspects of the surgery from orientation (there was none in 2000) to rehab have changed...and for the better.  The one constant for me is/was the excruciating pain.  I apparently have a very low tolerance for deep bone pain or am just a big baby.  Whatever.

During this time — because I wasnt suffering with nausea and side affects — we learned that it takes my body over an hour to absorb medication.  Even an IV is not instant relief.  So it took a few days to find the proper regimen of drugs to keep me comfortable and yet not put me in a drug-induced coma.  I dont get why people enjoy drugs to the point of abusing them.

Being fully drugged was an uncomfortable feeling for me. I want the pain controlled so that I can function.  Not only physically for my therapy sessions, but mentally as well.  Too much of this stuff and I was having conversations with my mother and Marie.. at the same time.. in my kitchen! Like a dream, but I was awake.  I also took myself on shopping trips.  Packages are beginning to arrive and I have no clue when I ordered them or what I was thinking. It looks like it will be a great Christmas for my family and the totes for A&S are really cool.

Cara being good. What a sweetheart!
I'm home from the hospital, doing Physical Therapy and trying to keep the pain under control with low doses of medications.  The difference between the two surgeries is amazing. With the bypass I could not function mentally at all.  Just trying to move made me nauseated. I didn't care to read or watch TV and couldn't use the computer. I was miserable.. like being car sick all the time.

This time, with pain under control, I'm thinking I could try sitting at the computer in a few days.  Right now, I see where the walls need touch up paint.  The bedroom might work better if I move the dresser.  Wondering if the septic is on an auto schedule for annual dumping? Have all the proposals arrived for Portland? Is it time to change the color scheme on the web? My mind is clear and racing. And then it's time for PT, pain meds and a nap. 

Glenny
xoxo

12 comments:

  1. I have been there with a hip replacement so I feel your pain... But I am happy to hear this recovery is going easier! Just think of all the wonderful things you will be able to do when you are all healed! Healing thoughts your way.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lorelie! I'm taking my time recovering and can't wait to be all healed.

      Delete
  2. Yikes Glenny, You sure have had a time of it. I agree with you - don't see how or why anyone would want to use drugs and think it's fun. Narcotics make me either hallucinate, throw-up or stop breathing - none of those things are fun to me.

    Better times to come, my friend. Just think of tutus and tiaras!

    Take Care. Love, Ellen Goodloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I returned much of the stuff I ordered. Who knew pain killers caused intermittent shopping? Thanks for the well wishes, Ellen.

      Delete
  3. oh Glenny - get well soon - that is one great looking pup you need to run after. xx enchy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are going to be hard to keep up with! You are really "living" these days! Take good care of yourself and ENJOY the new life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. Looking forward to lots of new opportunities in mobility!

      Delete
  5. Hey there! What a summer you are having! Hope your recovery is swift and that the pain subsides quickly! The PT is key to a good knee - so best of luck there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet thanks so much for the well-wishes. I'm still taking it easy!

      Delete
  6. Glenny, I hope you are feeling less pain now and able to get slowly back into your normal routine. Take care of yourself, you have been through a lot this past year, give yourself time to heal on all levels! Big Hugs, Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! "Slowly" being the operative word here :o)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting the Art & Soul blog. We appreciate your comments and feedback!